John Q. 1882 – 1939
William C. 1884 – 1944
John Q. Sherman and William C. Sherman were the founders of The Standard Register Company and generous donors to area causes. Although neither brother was responsible for the invention of the first pinfeed forms and register which led to the founding of Standard Register, the Shermans were initial investors and the businessmen responsible for bringing the fledgling company
out of receivership after the 1913 flood. Under their leadership, Standard Register grew into the second largest business forms manufacturer in America. However, the Sherman brothers were not simply good corporate leaders. John was also a prolific inventor, with over 190 patents to his credit, including patents for early air conditioning systems, compact umbrellas, and keyhole guards for hotel doors. He led the fundraising campaign which raised $1 million for the construction of Good Samaritan Hospital in 1928, and supported the University of Dayton. William was a generous supporter of the Dayton Community Chest, Good Samaritan Hospital, and Miami Valley Hospital. Standard Register was acquired by Taylor Corp. in 2015.