1920 – 1940s
Chartered in 1920 as one of eight Negro League baseball teams, the Dayton Marcos played their first game at Westwood Field on Western Avenue (now James H. McGee Blvd), on June 12, 1920 against the Chicago Giants. It was reported that one of the best-known players on the team was Bill Sloan, a hero of the 1913 Dayton flood. Sloan was part of the rescue effort continuously for 68 hours straight working on the West Side. He save 317 people during the 68 hours of continuous work. Another team member who played short stop for the Dayton Marcos was Curtis “Bingo” Lloyd. He worked with Mrs. Miley O. Williamson, of the Dayton NAACP, to desegregate city golf courses.